Season 4 First Episode Recap... Sort of

Finally!
The premiere of Season 4 Project Runway was upon us, and not a moment too soon! Instead of recapping the entire episode and spending way too much unnecessary space here, I want to try something different. Besides , I am sure that everyone and their mother from Honolulu to Poughkeepsie, and all those 15 year old kids who-have-become-YouTube-blog-phenomenons in between will surely be putting their two cents into who did their best, who made something "whickety-whack" and who "underwhelmed" them.

I want to pose Three "Uncle Nick Project Runway" Questions in regards to this first episode:

1) Is this really THE MOST TALENTED bunch of designers ever?
It's rather insulting for all the actual talent that has been seen from previous seasons who have created marvelous work. If I get sick and tired of hearing this tired line every season from my dear Tim Gunn, imagine how Kara Saun, Jay McCarroll , Chloe Dao and Jeffrey Sebelia feel? Especially after seeing this first episode. Or maybe they don't care. I haven't asked them lately... Irregardless, I feel that a lot of these dresses looked amateur, save Rami Kashou's. His was ethereal and beautifully draped. I know that for our season, we actually had a few days to create the garment we did for the Season 2 First Challenge, but still. Several of the dresses (Simone, Ricky) any girl can find in a local mall. An empire-cut baby doll? Really? Give me something kids! Inspire me!(Now, I am sounding like "Instructor Nick"!) Kit's looked straight out of "Hot Topic", and don't let me start on Elisa's turquoise ripped-into-shreds nightmare. In a non-reality show world, she would have been out. Lest we forget, it is still a TV show and Elisa would make for nice quirky "I design dresses based out of the grass I rub into my cloth" fodder worth watching. Simone
was forgettable, therefore she was the one to go.

2)Has Project Runway becoming the new "Real World"?

One more screen caption of Rami's tank top-wearing pecs and Jack's six-pack abs (I counted!) and the next thing I am going to see is them jump into a hot tub, get drunk and start, well you get the picture. Sexy sells, I get it. And nowadays, image is very important for designers. Look at Marc Jacobs' transformation from librarian-computer-grunge-geek to Chelsea hottie! But I don't want to start thinking that this Emmy-award nominated show is falling prey to MTV-style show of gratuitous skin. It's nice to watch, yes. But it's even better to watch the designers go through the motions of creating amazing garments--or crazy ones!

3) Do the Season 4 Models have that "WOW" factor the previous seasons ones did?
They are pretty, I do not deny that. But models should be extraordinarily pretty. Tarah, Danielle, Amanda, Marilinda...these girls turn heads. These new models don't have that "Wow" factor that Chloe's Grace did, for example. It is a known fact that the Project Runway models do not get paid for their time on the show and risk losing actual paying gigs, editorials, etc. by being there for 12 hours in a single day. Do you think that word has gotten around and agencies just don't want to risk that for their models or models don't feel the end result (What are they getting out of this?) is worth the time? Who knows. I just pose the question.

0 comments:

Post a Comment